What is Coaching
There are many definitions of what coaching is or isn’t. Here is mine:
Coaching is the art of supporting the development, learning and performance of another. Coaching aims to unlock an individual’s, team’s and/or organization’s potential.
Potential – Interference = Performance
(Source: Techniques for Change Ltd.)
“It is identifying the skills and capabilities that are within the person, and enabling them to use them to he best of their ability – and by that increasing the independence within the individual, and reducing reliance” (Source: Wikipedia)
Coaching can be described as a method & technique which can be used for guiding an individual to new learning in defined time frames. (Source: 12manage.com)
“Partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.” (Source: ICF)
My responsibility as a coach is to:
- Remain non-judgmental
- To support you in discovering, clarifying and aligning what you wish to achieve
- Support client with self-discovery with a focus on future possibilities
- Draw out client-generated solutions and strategies
- Hold the client responsible and accountable
My role as a coach:
- To support and encourage you. I am here to support and encourage you to reach your agreed action steps and in time to see your long term goals and objectives reached.
- To ask questions & listen. I will not be and should not be doing all the talking during our sessions! I am very interested in you and in your opinions, beliefs and goals.
- To help you explore. I will help you explore your thoughts, wishes, and dreams and then to help you to plan and set goals with milestones to reach them. My job is to support you in clarifying your goals and dreams, help you to clarify where you want to go and then to help you set manageable and achievable action steps to reach your potential.
- Straightforward and honest. I will tell the truth and be realistic and as real with you as I am able. My goal is to help you set realistic goals and provide you with encouragement and tools in the right direction when you need it!
- Accountability. I am here to help you hold yourself accountable.
- New perspective. Sometimes seeing things differently is what others need. I will ask questions to best enable you to explore and see things from multiple perspectives.
- I will trust you. I will trust you to make your own decisions. As a coach, I am not a counsellor or therapist, and I trust you to make the decisions you decide upon from our coaching sessions. At the end of the day, weeks, and months, I am here to support you in your decisions, not make them for you.
Benefits of coaching:
This list is not exhaustive. Coaching can be applied when any exploration is sought, to reach potential and for where improvement in performance is an objective.
- Facilitation of self-directed learning (SDL); whilst learning is supported via the coach, coaching is the ability of the client to become a self-directed person. It supports experiential, open and life-long learning. Setting goals, keeping a journal, planning and taking action are key tools. Self-awareness, improvement, personal development and the development of client are central themes.
- In terms of development, studies & research indicate tremendous advantages over other types of learning.
- ROI for coaching is considerably higher than other training as is an increase in the power of recall.
- It can take place anywhere & anytime.
- It can be tailored & delivered in bite-size sessions.
- It can increase motivation.
- To provide higher levels of confidence & competence.